The SKOLKOVO Centre for Urban Studies (SUrbC) aspires to create in Russia the culture of thinking and dialogue about a city.
The Centre aims to establish a platform to develop new formats of interaction between businesses, national, regional and local governments, financial institutions, as well as global and Russian professional community with regards to the issues of urban development.
Goals and objectives
The Centre supports urban development in Russia through:
- improving the system of urban governance;
- educating a new generation of managers, leaders and agents of change in government and business, as well as professionals in the area of urban development;
- developing professional and academic standards in urban planning and urbanism;
- integrating Russian cities in the global urban development dialogue.
- Carrying out interdisciplinary research on Russian cities to generate knowledge and data on Russian cities available to the Russian government, local and international businesses professional and academic community;
- Running analytical and project work to facilitate and inform the process of strategic planning, regulation, policymaking and programmatic work in urban development;
- Designing and delivering educational programmes to train a new generation of urban development leaders in government and business;
- Organizing a wide range of business and expert events on topical issues in urban governance and development involving all stakeholder groups.
- Participating in international research and technical assistance projects and programs.
We anticipate development challenges and set the agenda. We study international and local trends, context and best practices in urban governance and development to offer innovative solutions for Russia. This includes working with government agencies, maintaining the dialogue with professional community and cooperating with local and international companies.
Areas of competence
- Strategic urban planning and governance;
- Smart city;
- Resilient city;
- Sustainable urban development;
- Urban environmental planning and the economics of environmental solutions;
- Compact urban development;
- Impact analysis.
President of the Moscow School of Management SKOLKOVO, Curator of the Center for Urban Studies
- Andrei Sharonov was appointed Dean of the Moscow School of Management SKOLKOVO in September 2013 after leaving the position of Deputy Mayor of Moscow for Economic Policy in Moscow City Government. Since 2012 he has been heading Executive Committees of the Moscow Urban Forum and the Open Innovations Forum. Biography
Head of the SKOLKOVO Center for Urban Studies (SUrbC), Master of City Planning, Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2010-12
- Since 2007, Ksenia has been engaged in project and research activities in the field of sustainable urban development, environmental and energy planning, energy efficiency, mega-events planning and urban governance.
- Work experience includes projects for leading international organizations such as the World Bank, ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability and UN-Habitat.
The center was established at the Moscow School of Management SKOLKOVO in late 2014 upon the initiative and with the active support of Andrei Sharonov, Dean of the Moscow School of Management SKOLKOVO.
SKOLKOVO Centre for Urban Studies
+7 495 539 30 03